August 25, 2010

Back to Quilting

Today was a quilting day....I guess I'm back at it. I will take a photo of my studio one of these daysso you can see the mess of fabric I still have. You'd think after the 85+ baby quilts and 20+ purses, not even counting the aprons, reusable grocery sacks, jewelry pouches and other wearable articles, I'd be out of fabric. Nope...not even close. Maybe I won't post a photo. It might not be interesting to anyone but myself. Somedays it's not even interesting to me....mercy. moving on...............

Once I got up...I should say, Once I woke up, I fixed a bit of breakfast for the Bowtie man and myself. Eggs, sausage, toast, orange juice and coffee. Mine leaded, his not. Side note: three days a week we treat ourselves to cinnamon muffins and delish Corner Bakery coffee. We have tried many places...Shipley's, Mickey D's, Atlanta Bread, La Madeline, even Starbuck's, just to name a few...but our all time favorite place for coffee is Corner Bakery Cafe. CBC. (Inside joke for several that might view this.) Yesterday was the first of our every other days so we'll scoot to CBC tomorrow. One of life's little pleasures. I'll be sure and take a photo of the muffins tomorrow and post them so you can see what you're missing. :) ANYHOO....back to quilting. I get so side tracked sometimes. Comes from having six kids and having to multi-task I think....well...maybe not. You don't live inside my head...see...side tracked AGAIN. QUILTING...think quilting.

My nephew, John, (the Campbell side John not the Bramhall side John) and his wife, Laura are expecting their first baby, A BOY, (another Campbell man) in October. 21st I think. At Laura's shower I promised her a PB&J blanket (prayers, blessings and joy) for her little one when they knew what the sex was and had chosen the colors of the room. SO...they chose light blue and brown. I love light blue and brown. Those two colors always remind me of my very bestest of friends and shopping buddy...Ritabandita. Her bedroom always reminds me of a seaside cottage. Very light very bright and totally inviting. With the temperatures we've had here in the Dallas/FW area who wouldn't want to be by the sea by the sea by the beautiful sea or the mountains with it's crisp cool air and wonderful night of coolness for sleeping? I just have to hit the power button on my air conditioner in the studio and dream.....wow....totally sidetracked again... QUILTING....think quilting....

I wanted to show you the "bakerella" process of my quilting so here goes.
These are the basic fabrics I chose. The little paw print is significant because they have a little long haired weiny dog that they love.
Just some of the squares cut out and pinned together before they hit the sewing machine.

Here I have laid out the smaller squares to make the larger nine patch squares. It's a trial by error process. What fabric looks best with what fabric and which dark with which light. Stuff like that.
Here is the first "rough draft" of the quilt. I laid the sewn nine-patch squares along with some four-patch (four squares sewn together) down on my kitchen bar with large 9" squares to get the feel for what it wanted to look like.
Slightly higher view of the arrangement. I decided something wasn't quite right so I mixed them up a bit and took another picture.
Better...but not quite right. Then I decided that it needed to be a little bit bigger quilt so instead of having four squares across and five down it will now have five squares across and five down. These quilts have minds of their own sometimes. Geez.
The problem is my bar isn't big enough for that size quilt. I had to overlap the squares and hang some off the edges to get it all on there. Then I was one square short. drats. Went to the pile of scraps I had left over and put together another square which will fit nicely into the last place. Fifth down...fifth across. See the empty spot at the bottom left of the picture above? Well that's the position where the new square will go.
But I've run out of time and the fam is getting hungry. They haven't said anything yet but the infamous question, "What's for dinner?" I'm certain, is fixin' to be asked.
Hopefully I will make significant progress on the quilt tonight and be able to post that tomorrow.
Thanks for stoppin' by. 'preciate ya. (I think I've been living in Texas too long!)
In, to and for Him,
Cindy
ps. seriously considering posting something daily even it's mindless drivvle....afterall....DAILY mean daily...I'm just sayin'

6 comments:

Margie Whittington said...

Vely Interesting, C2! I enjoyed seeing your process. I love the fabric choice. I love the name, P,B and J blanket!!!
Glad you are back to quilting. Next time you make scones, give me a buzz and I'll help you eat them.
hugs,
m

Cindy Campbell said...

Next time I'm putting dried berries in my scones. Still interested? :) Didn't we have a lunch date scheduled for the end of September sometime? Sounds vaguely familiar but I could be wrong.

Connie Michael said...

Neat quilt, dahling. Love the brown and blue, but especially the paw prints. Looks like you're having fun!

Anonymous said...

I know John and Laura are really going to love the quilt. Handmade gifts are always the best. - Nora C.

Cindy Campbell said...

Thanks Conn-eh. I'm trying to have fun. :)I learned that from CBC. LOL

Cindy Campbell said...

I hope your right about them liking it Nora. Laura told me she liked the fabrics.

Will Not the End Explain

From "Springs in the Valley" for the 2nd of March..... Will not the end explain The crossed endeavor, earnest purpose foiled, ...