August 24, 2010

Scones Anyone?

Late last night my son, Patrick, asked for scones for breakfast. Sooo....being the marvelous...no.....great.....no....adequate mother that I am, who is largely motivated by guilt, I acquiesced to his request and at 10:00 last night I made scones. Patrick LOVES anything that has to do with bread.

As I assembled the ingredients I had visions of my blog looking like an entry on bakerella's blog. I love her blog. I immediately decided that wasn't possible but nevertheless....I continued on.

In my haste I started mixing everything together, afterall...it was late. I then realized if I wanted to document this I needed to get my camera out to take pictures. duh. Since the dough was already mixed my documentation starts at that point.

************************************************************************************

First , you must find the tattered and stained copy of your "Simple Scones" recipe that you printed off from http://www.allrecipes.com/

Then, you gather your ingredients....flour, sugar, butter, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sour cream and egg. Use your imagination as I did not get those photos....when all the ingredients are completely mixed you have....ta-da....something that might resemble this: Remove the thoroughly mixed dough onto a floured (not flowered) surface and roll the dough into a circle that has the diameter of 7"-8". Sprinkle the top with about a tablespoon of sugar (or more if you have a sweet tooth). The thickness of the dough should be 3/4th inch. Not 8/16ths or 10/16ths but 3/4th. I didn't measure mine. I just eyeballed it. :)
Now...cut the circle into 8 equal pieces. Remember that geometry class in high school? Well...what you learned will now come in handy.
The recipe suggested that you use parchment paper on your baking surface but I didn't have any so I was forced to use a naked cookie sheet.
Open the hatch and in they go........
So while they were baking I just had to open the oven door and have a peek at those cute little scones.
I almost forget some pertinent information....preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake for 15-17 minutes. Mine took the full 17 minutes.
Here I have arranged the scones, quite nicely I might add, on my cake platter. Last but not least, the dreaded note to Paddy. My bread-head. And yes, I actually did put that note on the cake server thingy. I have learned I must make my sentiments known...and they must be clearly stated especially when it comes to food.
I am sorry to say I have no new quilts ready to post but one of these days I will post all of the PB&J blankets that are finished. I currently have 30+ pieced and ready for quilting and 50+ ready to be pieced.
Enjoy your scones. I'm sure we will.
In Him,
Cindy

8 comments:

Connie Michael said...

Cute blog, C2.... wish I could have been there for breakfast! :)

Cindy Campbell said...

Thanks Conn-eh. Wish you could have too. I might bring one over to you.....

Sara D said...

I love Bakerella's blog...have you seen The Pioneer Woman's blog? She also has gorgeous photos of food. I also love scones. That was a hint for next time.

Cindy Campbell said...

I have not seen the Pioneer Woman's blog. I will check that out. Thanks. Hint...what hint? LOL

Margie Whittington said...

The scones sound and look delicious,CC. I loved your humorous blog documenting the making of them. I'll take 2 please!!!!

b said...

Yummm! My favorite! Sara they are the same scones I made for Laura's shower. DEEEEElicious!

Loved your comedic blog ma! Keep it up! Next you should document Dad making his famous fudge! That'd be a hilarious post!

Cindy Campbell said...

Stay tuned. Fudge is fun.

Anonymous said...

Cindy, I'll have my with a little bit of honey please! - Nora C.

Will Not the End Explain

From "Springs in the Valley" for the 2nd of March..... Will not the end explain The crossed endeavor, earnest purpose foiled, ...